For the salad:
Baby leaf spinach
Salad Burnet leaves (cucumber like flavour)
Any other salad leaves of choice, make it your own!
For the Pesto:
50g garlic chives
25g pine nuts
1 garlic clove crushed
200ml extra virgin olive oil
35g grated parmesan
- Variations for the pesto:
- Nasturtium pesto – use both the flowers and the leaves from edible flowers for a dash of colour and new taste
- Basil pesto – replace garlic chives with fresh basil leaves for a traditional pesto
- Rocket pesto – use up rocket for a punchy flavour
- Other uses for garlic chives – add to white bread so the green chives add colour as well as flavour, or add to garlic butter for extra flavour – matches well with eggs, chicken, shellfish, soft cheese and pork dishes.