3 chicken thighs and 3 chicken drumsticks
4 rashers of streaky smoked bacon chopped
500ml red wine
500ml chicken stock
Bouquet garni made from fresh rosemary/thyme/bay leaves
10 peeled, whole shallots
4 cloves of garlic chopped finely
400g button mushrooms
Tablespoon of plain flour
- Heat the butter in a large casserole dish on the hob, once melted add the shallots and cook for a few minutes until browned.
- Once the shallots have browned add the garlic followed by the bacon and the bouquet garni, cook for a couple of minutes until the bacon starts to brown and release its fat.
- Next add the button mushrooms followed by the chicken pieces – once browned add the red wine and stock, turn up the heat and once boiling leave to simmer for half an hour until the chicken is cooked through.
- You may want to thicken the sauce at this point depending on how you like it, if so remove the chicken and vegetables and set aside to keep warm. Mix together a tablespoon of softened butter with a tablespoon of plain flour, heat the sauce and whisk in the thickener bit by bit until that sauce is the consistency you prefer.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce and serve with warm crusty bread or mashed potatoes.