6-8 Jacksons of Yorkshire Tea Infused Hot Cross Buns
2 medium free-range eggs
6 medium free range egg yolks
150g caster sugar
300 ml milk, preferably whole
300 ml double cream
1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped
50-75g softened butter
90-120g apricot jam
25g brown sugar
30g mixed dried fruit (such as sultanas and raisins)
Small punnet of fresh raspberries
Icing sugar to garnish
- For the custard, whisk whole eggs with the egg yolks and caster sugar together.
- Place milk, cream and vanilla pod seeds into a pan over a low heat and gently bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Pour the milk and cream over the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Slice the Jacksons of Yorkshire Tea Infused Hot Cross Buns in half horizontally. Butter the buns and spread over with apricot jam. Cut the buns into 2 and place the bottom layer in a deep ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with the mixed fruit and half of the raspberries and the sugar. Replace the tops of the buns and pour the Custard over the buns. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes to infuse.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Place dish into a deep roasting tray and add enough water to the come up to the sides of the tray by a 1/3rd. Cover with foil.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the custard is set. Remove the foil for the final 5 minutes of cooking time to colour.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining raspberries and lightly dredge with icing sugar through a fine sieve. Serve with cream.