For the marinade
3 tbsp tomato sauce
2 Tbsp Gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
- Pre-heat your BBQ to 250c. Do this by banking the lit coals on one side and opening all vents to get the BBQ as hot as possible. You'll be cooking the chicken on the indirect side with the lid down. If using an oven, pre-heat to 250c
- Dry the chicken then sprinkle all over with salt & pepper. Once BBQ is up to temperature, place chicken skin side up on the indirect side of the BBQ. Close the lid and leave to cook for 15 minutes. Then turn the chicken over and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the marinade by combining all the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and heating. Keep stirring until you have a nice BBQ sauce consistency.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken. Once it hits 70c, brush the sauce on to the chicken and then flip it back over and coat the other side.
- Close the lid for a further 5 minutes to allow the sauce / glaze to set on the chicken, then make sure the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 73c.
- Slather the remaining sauce over the chicken, garnish with sesame seeds, spring onions & chillies and serve.