450g (1lb) stewing steak (the best quality you can find)
2 parsnips, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, halved
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
2 tbsp Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil
3 – 4 bay leaves
Pinch of salt & pepper
25g (1oz) flour (to coat the beef)
500ml bottle of Headland Red
- Season some flour on a plate with salt and pepper and use this to lightly coat the beef.
- Transfer the coated beef to a hot frying pan to lightly brown in the rapeseed oil.
- Chop all the vegetables and put into a large casserole dish with the beef.
- Use some of the Headland Red to deglaze the frying pan and then pour the contents of the pan and the remaining beer into the casserole dish.
- Season with the salt, pepper and bay leaves, put the lid on and cook on 150°C, 130°C Fan, Gas 2 for 3-4 hours.