400g prepared raw beetroot (3-4 medium beets peeled and diced)
100ml Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil
220g plain chocolate – 70% cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g golden caster sugar
100g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
- Pre Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Place the prepared beetroot in a microwavable dish, add a little water, and cover with cling film or a lid, then microwave on high for 15 mins or until tender. Whilst the beetroot is cooking, lightly grease and line a 20 x 30cm baking tray.
- Break up the chocolate into a food processer. Drain off the excess water from the beetroot and add the diced pieces along with the oil and vanilla essence. Whizz until the mixture is combined and smooth. The hot beetroot will melt the chocolate as you mix.
- In a food mixer combine the eggs and sugar and whisk until light and fluffy, then gently pour over the beetroot and fold together. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, then fold these into the egg and beetroot mix until a smooth batter is formed. Try and be as gentle with the mix as possible.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes or until risen all over. Cool in the tin then portion and serve warm with a scoop of clotted cream ice cream.