For the cake:
12oz/340g caster sugar
12oz/340g self-raising flour
3 lemons, zested
2oz/57g blue poppy seeds
For the syrup:
3 lemons, juiced
6oz/170g caster sugar
3fl oz/85ml water
- Preheat the oven to 170°c/150°c fan and line a 9 inch/23cm tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar, beating on a high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, two at a time, on a high power then reduce the speed and add a little flour in between the eggs. Slowly increase the speed again and repeat until all of the eggs and flour are mixed.
- Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds, beat for a couple of minutes to ensure it’s completely mixed and then pour into the tin.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup by adding the lemon juice, sugar and water to a pan and bringing to a steady boil until the syrup has reduced and become slightly thicker.
- Add the syrup to the cake while it’s still hot in the tin and leave to cool completely before removing.
- Variation – you can either leave this as a classic syrup cake or add icing and lemon curd. Slice the cake in half when it’s cool, add a layer of vanilla butter icing and a layer of lemon curd, then replace the top half of the cake and add another layer of vanilla icing to the top. Enjoy!