1.5Kg Rolled Brisket
1 packet of Beef rub
2 tsp garlic
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
½ cup of marsala wine (optional)
1 stock cube
2tsp coco powder
2tsp cornflour (optional)
1 packet ready made short crust pastry
- Pre heat the oven to 150°C
- Cover the brisket in the Smokehouse Spices Beef Rub and brown each side in a casserole dish. Once browned remove from dish and set aside
- Add the onions and garlic to the casserole dish and cook until soft.
- Once softened add the brisket, chopped tomatoes, marsala wine and stock cube to the dish, then bring to the boil, cover with a lid and place in the oven for 3 hrs.
- After three hours remove from the oven and remove the brisket, then blend the liquor in the casserole dish and add the coco powder.
- Reduce the liquid tasting frequently to ensure it doesn’t reduce too far or become too salty.
- After reducing, if the sauce needs to be thicker, thicken using cornflour (mix cornflour and water in a cup and add in increments until it reaches the desired thickness).
- Pull the brisket and add to the sauce, allow to cool before adding to pie.
- Roll out the pastry and line a pie dish, add the filling and cover with lid. Use a fork to seal the edges and cut a small hole in the lid to allow steam to escape.
- Brush milk over the lid to get a golden crust and place in an oven at 180°C
- Once the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling remove from the oven, plate and enjoy!