1 Young Grouse
10 ml Wharfe Valley Rapeseed Oil
10 g Rock Salt
10 g Caster Sugar
20 g Bitter Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa, grated)
100 ml Pale Beer
1 Banana Shallot
8 Wild Horseradish Shoots
12 Wild Blackberries (soaked in Blackberry Wine, optional)
5 g Coriander Seeds
5 g Fennel Seeds
5 g Black Cracked Pepper
1 Sourdough Baguette (sliced 1 inch thick)
- Remove the breast from the grouse and sprinkle evenly with salt and sugar - leave to stand for one hour before rinsing with water and pat dry.
- Seal the meat in a very hot pan for a few seconds, until the skin is coloured.
- Mix the coriander seeds, fennel seeds and black cracked pepper together and then press both sides of the grouse into the mixture to cover.
- Tightly wrap the breasts in cling film and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove from the cling film and slice as thinly as you can.
- Thinly slice the shallots and soak in the beer for 5 minutes before draining.
- Shred the wild horseradish.
- To serve, place an even amount of the sliced grouse breast on each plate and drizzle rapeseed oil and lemon juice around the plate.
- Scatter the shallots, shredded horseradish and chocolate around the plate along with 3 Blackberries cut in half.
- Toast the sourdough bread and serve on the side.