4-6 Soanes skin on boneless thighs
100g plain flour
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
500g Maris piper potatoes, unpeeled and cut into chips. (Keep these in cold water until ready to use.)
2 corn on the cob
1 tsp chipotle paste
1 – 2tsp butter
- Pre heat a deep fat fryer to 160C
- In a large bowl mix the buttermilk and eggs together and beat until smooth. Add the chicken pieces to the buttermilk and leave submerged for 2hrs minimum, but overnight is best.
- Mix together the flour and all the spices in another bowl.
- Drain the chips from the water and leave to dry partially.
- Fry the chips, until they are soft and a light golden colour. Remove from the fryer and place on kitchen paper to drain.
- Lift the chicken from the buttermilk, removing the excess, then place in the spice and flour mixture and coat well with flour.
- Fry the chicken pieces at 160C until they are a deep golden colour. The chicken is cooked when its core temperature reaches 75C or the juices run clear.
- While the chicken is frying, boil a pan of water and cook the corn cobs for 5-8 minutes.
- Mix the chipotle paste with the butter.
- When the chicken is a beautiful golden colour, remove from the fryer and place on paper to drain.
- Heat the oil to 180C and place the chips back in the fryer, cook until golden and crisp.
- Drain the corn cobs and coat in chipotle butter, serve the chicken, chips and corn with coleslaw and a light beer or a can of pop!