For the dough
300g white flour
125 ml warm milk
50g demerara sugar
For the hazelnut spread
3 tspn sunflower oil
3 tspn cocoa powder
3 tbspn maple syrup
- To make the spread whizz up the nuts and 2 tsp of sunflower oil in a processor to a paste, then add remaining oil, cocoa powder and maple syrup. Combine together and put to one side.
- Put flour and salt in a bowl. Soften the butter and mix with the sugar and warm milk. Crumble the yeast on top of the dry ingredients and add the egg. Next gradually add the milky mix combining to form a soft dough. knead for a short 5 minutes until the dough is shiny and silky – this is a sticky dough and you may find it easier to knead in the bowl rather than bring it out on to a floured surface. Once kneaded cover, put in a warm place and leave to prove until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen turn out onto a floured surface and divide into two pieces, then roll out both pieces into the same size circle. Take your first piece and spread your hazelnut & chocolate mix out evenly onto it. Place the second piece of dough on top.
- Using a sharp knife cut through both layers of dough. You want to create approx 6 slices that are still attached at the middle. Then twist each slice, being careful not to tear the dough as you go.
- Place your bread onto a lined baking tray and glaze with egg wash. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Leave to prove, then bake for approximately 25-30 minutes in a hot oven 180’ or until golden brown.
- Enjoy hot or cold. An absolute treat!