375g ready to roll puff pastry sheet
2 small red onions, finely sliced
1 tbsp Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil
1½ tbsp Sweet Cranberry Dressing
150g good quality sausage meat, or 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced if going for the veggie option
100g baby spinach, washed
75g Shepherds Purse Yorkshire Fettle cheese, in 2cm cubes
1 egg – beaten, for glazing
1 tsp black sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 180c / 160c Fan and line a large baking tray with baking paper (large enough to take a large dinner plate)
- In a large frying pan heat the Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil over a low to medium heat and add the red onions. Fry on a low heat for 10 minutes until softened and caramelised. Stir through the Sweet Cranberry Dressing and put aside for later.
- In the frying pan add a little more Rapeseed Oil, and on a medium hob heat fry the sausage meat, breaking it down into small pieces. (Alternatively fry the mushrooms if taking the vegetarian option) When the sausage meat or mushrooms are cooked through, add the baby spinach and leave on the heat for a minute or two until it wilts. Add the Yorkshire Fettle cheese cubes and take off the heat.
- Roll out the pastry sheet until you can cut out a circle the size of a large dinner plate. Use a saucer to mark out a small circle and score this into 6 triangular wedge shapes. Place the cooked red onions in a ring onto the outer edge - leaving an inch border around the outer edge, then carefully place the sausage meat (or mushroom), cheese and spinach mixture on top. Fold the outer and inner edges together all the way round to create the wreath shape
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the black sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Serve and get ready for the compliments!