1 large broccoli
1 large cauliflower
3 medium-sized onions, diced into 1cm cubes
2 large courgettes, deseeded and diced into 1cm cubes
7oz/198g fine beans, sliced
3oz/85g plain flour, sieved
½oz/14g mild curry powder
3oz/85g wholegrain mustard
1oz/28g ground ginger
1¾ pints/1 litre white wine vinegar
20oz/567g caster sugar
- Break the broccoli and cauliflower into florets and dice the stalks.
- Place all the prepared vegetables in a large bowl, toss in the salt, and leave for 24 hours.
- Rinse very thoroughly in several changes of water until the salt has been completely washed away. Drain well and leave for at least 30 minutes. Put the sieved flour and spices into a large heavy-based pan and gradually add the vinegar, blending well to a smooth paste with no lumps.
- Add the rest of the vinegar and the sugar and bring to the boil, stirring all the time until the mixture is thick.
- Add the prepared vegetables and bring back to the boil, continuing to stir so the piccalilli doesn’t stick and burn on the bottom.
- Remove from the heat and transfer into warm sterile jars. Seal with the lid and leave the piccalilli for 1 month to mature, if you can resist it that long!