For the burger:
1kg of good quality Yorkshire minced beef (ideally around 30% fat)
1/2 white onion
1 tbsp beef dripping
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
For the Smokey Tomato Ketchup:
A small sprig of thyme and rosemary
4 cloves of garlic
2 good pinches smoked paprika
1 tbsp tomato puree
- For the burgers: sweat the onions in beef dripping until translucent, then allow to cool.
- Mix with the beef mince & add salt & pepper.
- Test a small piece in a pan to test seasoning before separating into 8 balls and flattening ready for grill.
- When ready warm up the grill or BBQ and cook to desired level.
- For the ketchup: place all ingredients on a tray and place in an oven at 180C for 30 mins or until tomatoes are soft
- Meanwhile mix together 100ml white wine vinegar, 100ml Balsamic and 100g Caster Sugar in a pan and bring to boil until the volume is reduced by half.
- Combine with the roasted ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Pour into a pretty serving dish ready to spread on your burger.