For the pastry
200g wholemeal flour, plus a little extra for dusting
100g butter, cubed
3 tbsp cold water
For the filling
1 70g bag pea shoots, reserve a few for garnish and cut the remainder into thirds
225g cooked beetroot, cut into cubes
1 red onion – medium, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
2 tsp olive oil
100g goat’s cheese
3 large eggs
3 tbsp sour cream
Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- Make the pastry by placing the flour into a bowl, add the butter cubes and rub in with finger tips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add the water, mix together and then bring together with hands into a ball. Dust a work surface with flour and roll out the pastry to fit a fluted 20cm loose bottomed flan tin.
- Bake blind in a preheated oven 190°/170°C/Gas Mark 5 for 10 minutes, then remove beans and greaseproof, gently prick the base in a few places but not going through the base pastry, return to the oven and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion wedges on a moderate heat for 4 – 5 minutes. Place half of the onion into the base of the flan dish followed by three quarters of the beetroot, half the pea shoots and half the goat’s cheese.
- Whisk the eggs, sour cream and milk in a bowl and season. Pour into the flan dish and then add the remaining ingredients, press them gently down into the egg mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until tinged with brown and the egg mixture is set. Allow to cool slightly before cutting and garnishing with the remaining pea shoots.