– As a guide, if the bird is under 4kg allow 20 minutes per kg + 70 minutes.
If it is over 4kg allow 20 minutes per kg + 90 minutes at the end.
– Weigh the turkey after stuffing to calculate cooking time and remember oven temperatures vary. Fan assisted ovens cook at a higher temperature - consult the manufacturers handbook. Cook in a conventional oven at 190ºC/375ºF, Gas Mark 5. Bring to room temperature before roasting. Cover loosely with foil and remove foil for last 40 minutes for browning.
– Check the bird is cooked by inserting a skewer in the thickest part of the thigh or breast and ensure the juices run clear. If there are any pink juices pop back in the oven for 10-15 minutes then test again.
– Ensure your oven is up to temperature. Remember - on Christmas Day power may be reduced slightly due to the surge on the grid. This and regular opening and closing of the oven door (to test the bird etc) will also reduce the heat
– Allow the turkey to stand for at least 15-20 minutes before carving