115g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
75g self raising flour
200ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 227g jars raspberry and elderflower jam
- For the sponge, preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5 and line a 9x13 inch Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla seeds into a bowl and whisk until very light, fluffy and thickened.
- Sift the flour over the mixture and fold in carefully.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin and smooth it out with a spatula until evenly spread.
- Bake the sponge for 10-12 minutes, or until just firm to the touch.
- Place a sheet of baking parchment that is slightly bigger than the tray onto the work surface and dust with some caster sugar.
- Turn the sponge out onto the parchment paper, then peel off the parchment on the bottom of the sponge. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whip the double cream to soft peaks with the vanilla extract.
- To assemble the roll, spread the raspberry jam over the cooled sponge, leaving a 2cm/1in gap around the edge.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top then sprinkle over the whole raspberries.
- Take the longest edge, then using the parchment paper underneath, roll up the sponge quite tightly, making sure the filling stays inside.
- Roll the sponge off the parchment, dust with extra caster sugar and cut into slices to serve.