1 medium cauliflower, broken into florets
1 small red onion, finely chopped
½ carrot, roughly chopped
½ stick celery, roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
8 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 large potato, cut into small chunks
2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1.2-litre hot stock
Sea salt flakes and coarsely ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Pop all the florets onto a baking sheet. Pour over 4 tablespoons of the oil, a good sprinkle of the salt and roll the cauliflower around in it. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until browned, ever so slightly burnt on the edges but take care not to overdo this.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil and add all the chopped vegetables except the garlic, give them a good stir and sweat down for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sweat for a few more minutes.
- Add the potato and sprinkle over the turmeric and stir well. Pour over the stock, bring to a gentle boil and cook until tender.
- Keep back a few florets and add the rest to the soup and continue on a gentle boil for a further 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a food processor or Thermomix to create a thick, smooth soup.
- Pour the soup carefully into a food processor or if you have one and blend to create a smooth, thick soup. Adjust the seasoning and serve.