1lb tin chestnuts, roughly chopped
1lb cooking apples (peeled, cored and finely chopped)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Zest of 1 large orange
1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped sage
1 sprig of thyme snipped
4 sticks of celery (roughly chopped)
1 1/2lb pork sausage meat
1 egg, beaten
6oz firm white bread cut into dice
Salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter and fry the onion, celery and thyme until soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley, sage, bread, apples, chestnuts and orange zest. Season and mix well.
- Add the sausage meat and mix ingredients together, binding together with the egg, then leave to cool.
- Ensure you re-weight the bird with stuffing to calculate the cooking time.
- Place any leftover stuffing on a tray to cook later.