Two Packs The Yorkshire Meatball Co. Yorkshire Balls…
2 Large white onions
1 Garlic clove
5 Red skin potatoes
1 bunch Fresh parsley
500g Pitted dates
4 Green apples
Half tsp Ground allspice
Half tsp Ground ginger
Half tsp Ground nutmeg
400g Muscavado sugar
600ml Red wine vinegar
100ml Coca cola
- For the brown sauce (in advance) Grate the apples and mix together with the pitted dates and ground spices and set to one side. In a small saucepan, bring the muscovado sugar and red wine vinegar to the boil over a high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the liquid on top of the date mixture, cover with cling-film and leave to cool fully.
- Once the mixture has cooled, add to a saucepan and bring it to a simmer over a very low heat for 1.5 hours. Once the mixture is soft and pulpy, blend it together until smooth, before passing through a fine sieve. Before leaving to cool, gradually stir in Coca Cola to taste. There should just be a hint of cola on the aftertaste. Leave the sauce to cool completely, before adding to an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Roll the Balls in a knob of butter to seal and lightly brown, before transferring to a roasting dish in a pre-heated oven (180C/350F/Gas Mark4) for 10-15 mins. Ensure Balls are piping hot before serving
- For the potato hash: Peel and cube the potatoes and add to a pan of cold water with a little salt before bringing to the boil and cooking until soft. Set aside. Dice the onion and garlic before adding to a large, oven-proof frying pan with a little oil or butter. Sweat off until the onion is soft, then dice the chorizo and add to the pan with the onions and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes to the pan and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Crack all eggs into the pan (try to aim for little wells within the onion, chorizo and potato mix), and add the pan to a pre-heated oven (180C/350F/Gas Mark 4) for 8 minutes. Once the eggs have baked, remove from the oven and sprinkle with a little sea salt, black pepper and parsley.
- Add the Balls to the pan, and serve straight to the table so that everyone can help themselves. And drizzle over the cola brown sauce.