For the cake:
10oz/ (usually 3) fresh plums
7oz/198g caster sugar
7oz/198g self raising flour
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
For the crunch topping:
2 lemons, juiced
1 tablespoon water
8oz/227g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°c/150°c Fan oven and line a 1lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Destone and slice the plums, then place to one side.
- Mix together the margarine and caster sugar on a high speed until light and fluffy, then add one egg at a time, adding a little flour in between each egg to avoid the mixture splitting.
- Add the vanilla extract, milk and the rest of the flour and the baking powder and mix well. Pour half of the mixture into the prepared tin and place a layer of plum slices over the top.
- Add the rest of the mixture and top with the rest of the plum slices.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. For the crunch topping - in a bowl, mix together the lemon juice, water and enough sugar to get a wet but thick consistency.
- Add to the top of the cake whilst still hot and leave to cool completely in the tin.