1kg stewing steak, diced
50g butter/50g duck fat
2 onions finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 medium carrots, chopped large
150g field mushrooms
2 sprigs fresh thyme
5 bay leaves
2g mustard seeds
500ml of Yorkshire Ale
250ml beef stock
250ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten for glazing with a little cream added
300g ready-made rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/420°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Pour flour into a bowl and season well. Coat the meat with the seasoned flour.
- Heat half the butter and all the duck fat in a pan and add the meat & mustard seeds.
- Sear all over until golden brown for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, ale and stocks. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and gently simmer for 1 hr or until tender. When cooked, season, add the remaining butter and pour into a pie dish.
- Brush the edge of the dish with the beaten egg. Roll out the pastry using as little flour as possible and place over the dish. Pinch the edges of the dish so that the pastry will stick to it and trim off any remaining pieces of pastry from around the edge. Brush the pastry top thoroughly with the remaining beaten egg and cream, place on a tray.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins until the pastry is golden brown on top.