2kg+ whole Soanes chicken, spatchcocked
1 leek, sliced lengthways
2 carrots, cut into batons
400g baby new potatoes
Thyme to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Peel and halve the onions and place in the bottom of a roasting tin or casserole dish.
- Prepare the chicken according to taste (we like to add a small amount of butter to the skin and simply season with salt, pepper and thyme) and place on top of the onions.
- Add water to a depth of 1cm to the bottom of the tin/dish.
- Cover the chicken with parchment (not foil) and tuck it in around and under the chicken.
- Cook the chicken for 30 minutes then add the prepared vegetables beneath the parchment.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes before checking that the meat is cooked by inserting a skewer into the thigh of the chicken. If the juices do not run clear, re-cover with the parchment and place back in the oven for a further 10 minutes and repeat until the juices run clear.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the parchment and increase the oven temperature to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the chicken and vegetables are golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer to a carving tray for 15 minutes before serving. Return the vegetables to the oven whilst the chicken is resting.